Welcome to the Cardross Estate, where you can enjoy a holiday in our self catering cottages or a short bed & breakfast stay in Cardross House.
The Estate is situated on the fringe of the Scottish Highlands and border of the Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park. Just to the north of us is the Lake of Menteith, the only 'Lake' in Scotland. Close by are the famous Trossachs, immortalised by Sir Walter Scott and closely associated with Rob Roy MacGregor and many exciting periods of Scottish History. Cardross Estate really is ideally situated for visiting Scotland's major cities, the Highlands and both coasts.
Cardross is a mixed farming, forestry and sporting country estate dating back to the 16th Century and extending to approximately 4000 acres.
From early times, Menteith was one of the five great districts into which Scotland was divided. The name of the house is Gaelic in origin and means "the fort on the promontary". Cardross House is believed to have been built in 1598 by David Erskine, Commendator of Inchmahome Priory, where Mary Queen of Scots spent some time as a child.
For much of it's history, the estate has been owned by the Erskines and remained so until it was bought in 1920 by the Orr Ewing family, who had previously resided at Ballikinrain Castle not far away in the Strathendrick district, between Fintry and Killearn. The present owners Sir Archie and Lady Orr Ewing have resided in the house since 1999.